I’ve written extensively for my Potential Gamer website. Here’s a selection of articles, arranged into broad types with the newest of each at the top.
- Skyrim & telling your own story – how the latest Elder Scrolls sculpts a unique story around your actions.
- Holiday photos from Temeria – a mini-review of The Witcher 2.
- The Witcher Experience – an analysis of The Witcher.
- Heavy Rain reviewed – the final verdict.
- Charting the Uncharted – reviews of Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune and Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.
- Bioshock review – including video review.
- Multiwinia review – including video review.
- Bioshock: a twist of brilliance – raving about Bioshock’s moment of extreme narrative bravery.
- Mass Effect review – including video review.
- Dragon Age preview
- Fallout 3 preview
- My top games of 2011 – including Portal 2, Bastion, Limbo, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Skyrim and Witcher 2.
- Game difficulty Vs Storytelling – the trick of telling a compelling story while maintaining a game challenge, with a focus on Red Faction: Guerilla.
- Abusing your authority: Mass Effect 2 – a critical examination of ME2’s dubious ethics surrounding sexual harassment in the workplace.
- GoG’s 4-day madness – a look at GoG.com’s unusual marketing strategy in 2010.
- LucasArts returns: a win for gaming history – examining LucasArts’ return to the PC and the rerelease of classic games.
- Games at the movies – why are movies based on game franchises so awful?
- Call of Duty 4 wins BAFTA story award – why CoD4 deserved the award and a look at storytelling in games.
- The name of the game – why game journalism needs better definitions.
- Annoying things in games: part 2 – some more things for developers to avoid.
- Annoying things in games: part 1 – common traps no developer should fall into (yet they always do).
- BAFTA games awards somewhat vague – criticism of the misguided BAFTA games awards categories.
- Breaking the immersion barrier – should developers integrate GUIs into the gameplay?
- Making complex things simple – why FTL is my most anticipated game of 2012.
- LA Noire’s faces – I thought LA Noire’s faces were the new moveable crates. I still think they are, even if it’s taking a while for anybody else to give it a go.
- Mafia II video preview – it all looked so promising back then.
- Just Cause 2 video preview – just ’cause.
- Heavy Rain preview – first analysis based on the demo.
- Star Trek Online: boldly going nowhere – my thoughts on Star Trek Online and the state of the MMOG genre.
- Love – preview of the unusual, independent MMOG.
- Batman: Arkham Asylum – video preview of 2009’s unexpected hit.
- Multiwinia preview – includes video commentary.
- Interview with Chris Delay of Introversion
- Darwinia review – including video review.